Black & Company began business on October 23, 1920, when Roy M. Black took over what was previously known as Gebhart Hardware in Decatur, Illinois.
Business at the store grew steadily. In 1924, Mr. Black opened a second store in Decatur known to this day as Decatur Paint & Varnish.
In the years to follow, Black & Company opened stores in Springfield (1924), Danville (1943), Champaign (1945), Quincy (1959), Indianapolis (1995) and Effingham (1998). Black & Company continues to upgrade or relocate to more efficient facilities in order to enhance service levels to our customers. Today, Black & Company operates 7 locations in 6 cities.
Watch our video below